Friday, September 10, 2010

The Longest 1 Hour 16 Minutes and 41 Seconds in Recent American History


Do you remember?

I was working the  6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. shift at law firm downtown.  I remember walking in that morning to find the early birds in the video conference room staring at the television.   When I asked what was happening, no one spoke.  They just pointed to the television. Watching in shock for what seemed like an eternity, everyone stood in silence.  About the time we could form up words to speak about what we were seeing, the second plane hit  the towers.

It was just a matter of time before the decision to close down the federal and state courthouses came through, followed by the decision to close the office.  I left downtown within a couple of hours and stopped by my church which had opened up for prayer and support. So we prayed and wept and held silence... and each other... for a while.

Passing by the local Air Force Base on my way home, knowing that the FAA had already ordered the nations first ever halt on all flight operations, a military helicopter flew overhead while I was stopped at a red light, and for the first time in my life, I was frightened by that sight and sound. I instantly flashed back in time to the year 1990, standing at the Berlin Wall.  While I was chipping away at the Wall and intermittently taking pictures of that historical moment, a military helicopter flew overhead.  Some people scattered  - some did not. I marveled. I did not grow up with that kind of fear whether from my own government or terrorism.  But places where freedom and democracy are worlds away, the sound or sight of a military air carrier sends people running.  I remember breathing a prayer of thankfulness for growing up in America.  

But sitting at that red light on September 11, 2001, I knew our country and our world had changed forever. And it did.

Sharing 2  great videos below to remember the longest 1 hour 16 minutes and 41 seconds in recent American history, when the world was united both in courage and in grief.  Sharing a third video to end with hope!


 

One more great song....




AND NOW FOR HOPE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment